CRITICAL **: egg_desktop_entries (ERRORS)

Robert Wallace ubuntu-user at siliconchaos.com
Sat Jun 3 18:41:18 UTC 2006

I apologize for not being detail before (was away from home on a
public computer). Anyway here is what I did to solve the issue.

Execute the following commands
    cd /usr/share/applications
    sudo update-desktop-database -v

You should get output similar to this
    Search path is now: [/usr/local/share/applications, /usr/share/applications]
    Could not create cache file in directory '/usr/local/share/applications':
        Error opening directory '/usr/local/share/applications': No
such file or directory
    File '/usr/share/applications/kde/mountconfig.desktop' lacks MimeType key

    ** (process:27561): CRITICAL **: egg_desktop_entries_add_group:
assertion `egg_desktop_entries_lookup_group (entries, group_name) ==
NULL' failed
    File '/usr/share/applications/kde/kcm_knemo.desktop' lacks MimeType key
    File '/usr/share/applications/kde/kcm_btpaired.desktop' lacks MimeType key

Ignore the MimeType errors and focus on the line after the egg_desktop
error in this case it's /usr/share/applications/kde/kcm_knemo.desktop,
use your prefered editor (vim in my case) and edit using sudo.

Your file should like something like this (I modified mine to recreate
the error to get the correct output)

    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Exec=kcmshell kcm_knemo
    Icon=knemo

    X-KDE-ModuleType=Library
    X-KDE-Library=knemo
    X-KDE-FactoryName=knemo
    X-KDE-ParentApp=kcontrol

    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Network Monitor
    Comment=Monitor network interfaces

    Categories=Qt;KDE;X-KDE-settings-network

In my case I have "[Desktop Entry]" and "Encoding=UFT-8" duplicated.
Just remove the duplicate lines, save the file and repeat for all
files.

I also encounterd another error (Not MimeType) but it complained about
invalid characters or something. I you have a similar error edit the
file and remove the localizations which you do not require. In my case
is was a comment for localization "de".

Hope this helps.

I will post this fix on my blog http://blog.siliconchaos.net for
future reference and hopefully should be able to be picked up by
google.