How to avoid password prompt on resume from sleep?

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sat Jun 3 16:00:41 UTC 2006

Jan Moren wrote:

> For various reasons I tend to put the laptop to sleep and resume several
> times a day, and it quickly gets old to have to log in every time.

"log in"?  Username AND password?  That sounds like a problem I was
encountering with resume and kpowersave (don't let that scare you - keep
reading, it's not KDE or powersave related).  When you sleep (or suspend),
and screensaver is configured, you should get a password-only prompt, but
for some video cards X aborts if it tries to restore the video while you're
in the X session, so you need to do a "chvt" to a console _before_
sleep/suspend begins, and then "chvt" back to the X session after the video
is reset.

If this is what's happening, you can test it by manually switching to a
console before sleeping, and see if you still need to log in after resume
(and switching back to your X session).

When I used the acpi-support package, this seemed to be automatic (look
for "chvt" in the suspend scripts - perhaps it only happens for actual
suspend, not sleep, as I never used sleep).  Now that I'm using powersave,
I've had to modify a config parameter.
--
derek