upgrading from 5.10 to 6.06

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Jun 3 16:48:18 UTC 2006

On 06/05/31 15:57 (GMT-0400) Julio Biason apparently typed:

> On 5/31/06, Richard <cms01 at tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>> how does one upgrade from breezy to dapper ?
>> what is the simplest and easiest method ?

> Edit /etc/apt/source.list and change the references to "breezy" to
> "dapper". Then do

> sudo apt-get update

> and

> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I took this route, without first bothering to see what other options
exist on the wiki. It seems to have gone mostly OK, but probably
wouldn't have if I hadn't intervened. I followed along periodically
running df /. When freespace approached 0, I started looking for things
to delete in /var/cache/apt/archives, and deleted various things dated
last year or prior. As space again approached 0, I'd delete yet more,
including the KDE 3.4.3 packages, and the big OO2 base package. I seem
to have a working dapper, but with with/without the following.

1-still only the old 2.6.12 breezy kernel
2-still over 600M in /var/cache/apt/archives
3-only 3% freespace on /
4-haven't tried to open OO2

What are all those packages doing still in /var/cache/apt/archives?
Shouldn't I be using a more recent kernel? If so, how should I get one?
--
"All have sinned & fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409