Trying to reinstall GRUB into root partition

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Sat Jun 3 10:24:43 UTC 2006

On Friday 02 June 2006 20:32, Lewis Futrell wrote:
> Here is my setup:
>

>             2 hard drives, 1 40 Gig IDE master (for my Linux
> experimenting) and 1 160 Gig SATA (my Windows drive).
>

> In my BIOS boot sequence, I have the SATA drive the first bootable
> HD.  When I installed Dapper from the live CD, GRUB went ahead and
> 'installed' itself to the MBR.  I say 'installed' because instead
> of changing the MBR of the SATA drive, it installed itself to the
> IDE drive.  I would actually have liked for GRUB to ask me where to
> install it instead of it assuming I wanted the MBR overwritten.
> The good news is that I can access Kubuntu by accessing the BIOS
> boot menu and selecting the IDE drive as the bootable drive.  It
> even added XP to the menu and XP boots.  I simply want GRUB to
> install itself to the root partition so I can use the GAG boot
> loader on my SATA drive to access all my various OS installs.  Any
> ideas?

You mention the GAG loader and at least a Dapper and Kubuntu install
so I will assume you want a GRUB for each Linux OS right?

If you can boot into Dapper (let's say it's /dev/hdb6), run this:

grub-install /dev/hdb6

If you can't boot Dapper then boot Kubuntu and mount Dapper somewhere:

mount /dev/hdb6 /mnt/dapper
grub-install /dev/hdb6 --root-directory=/mnt/dapper

The --root-directory option is for grub to find the correct files in
boot/grub/*. The default is to look in / which is obviously wrong if
you are running one OS and installing grub for a different one.

Hope that all makes sense...

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za