Easy way to get (recursive) dependency tree ?

patraulea ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Jun 2 19:18:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

I decided to see what the Dapper installer looks like so I got the
desktop ISO, installed in server mode and got stumped after seeing the
complete dependency list for gnome-desktop-environment (I still believe
in a GUI desktop in a 1GB partition).

Looking at the immediate deps for gnome-desktop-environment I left out
whatever I didn't need and ran apt-get install the-rest. Only to find
out things like GDB were included in the deps.

Trying to find out where GDB came from ... a dependency tree would be
really useful, right ? Well looking thru `man apt-cache` I came across
de dotty command. And found out the hard way that it can't cope with
large graphs such as the one for gnome-desktop-environment.

In case you're still reading and can spare a hint, I'd really like to
hear what an easy way to get a dependency tree (yes, like Gentoo's
emerge -pt) is. Or at least how I could find out where in the tree a
specific package is.

My current solution is to use this 'deptree.py'
(http://patraulea.com/hacks/deptree.py) script (written by

Yours truly,

Bogdan

--