Problems with video playback

Pierre-Charles David pcdavid at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 18:22:05 UTC 2006

2006/6/1, Sergio Duran <sergioduran at gmail.com>:
> I've been using drapper drake for some weeks now, I installed the w32codecs
> as the forum states but I can't play videos, mostly avi and wmv files, the
> video decoder isnt working, I get audio but the video output is black.

Which player do you use? If it's Totem (default under Gnome), you also
need to install the gstreamer plugins: gstreamer0.10-plugins-base,
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad,
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly, gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse,
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse, gstreamer0.10-plugins-ffmpeg

The "bad" and "ugly" packages refer to plugins which use non-free codecs;
you obviously need to have enabled universe and multiverse. I've not
yet come across a video Totem can't handle with all these installed.