How do you prevent an application from grinding the whole system to a halt?

Scott listboi at angrykeyboarder.com
Fri Jun 2 12:30:03 UTC 2006

On 06/01/2006 10:50 PM, * James Gray spake thusly:

> Free advice (you get what you pay for): run system updates in runlevel 1, ie,
> 0. Modify sources.list for new version (Dapper)
> 1. sudo init 1
> 2. apt-get update
> 3. apt-get -u dist-upgrade
> 4. reboot

I'd heard that advice years ago but from what I've gathered things have
changed.  At the very least you can do any kind of upgrade in an X
session. I've done this before and note messages stating "upgrade will
be completed after X session is restarted" (and similar).

So after I do a big upgrade I restart X or reboot depending on what I'm
upgrading.

But consuming lots of RAM running other applications while doing a major
upgrade probably isn't a good idea anyway. ;-)

The upgrading itself eats a sizable chunk of RAM.

--
	Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com