Is there going to be a Ubuntu 6.10 soon?

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Fri Jun 2 07:09:08 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 14:38 +0800, toylet wrote:

> How could I upgrade my 5.10 to 6.06 via the alternate CDROM?

I thought too that you needed the alternate CD to do an upgrade from
CD.

But you don't.   If you just pop in the regular Desktop CD (previously
called Live CD) then it will ALSO offer to upgrade from it.

So I guess pretty much the only time you need the alternate CD is for
computers with weird hardware, or less than 256 MB memory so you can't
comfortably run the live CD.

(It says 192 MB minimum, but I tried installing a FLight 7 on 256 last
week and it just came to a halt..  I did eventually manage with some
changed boot options to make the RAM disk smaller)

> I found most guides talking about upgrading over the network, which is
> too far away from Hong Kong.

Distance doesn't matter much.  I'm in Northern Thailand which is a lot
further away from anything (in Internet hops) than HKG is.

Cheers,
Chanchao