Ruby package version incorrect?

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Jun 1 21:46:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 03:54:50PM +0100, Jon Lim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a freshly installed Dapper:
> $ apt-cache show ruby
> Version: 1.8.2-1
>
> $ apt-cache show ruby1.8
> Version: 1.8.4-1ubuntu1
>
> Shouldn't the version of the ruby package be 1.8.4-1?

Maybe.  Perhaps the ruby metapackage didn't get updated for some reason.
It's a separate source package to the ruby1.8 one.

> This certainly made me hesitate before installing, as I understood
> Dapper shipped with 1.8.4.

The best way to see what version of Ruby you've got is to ask ruby:

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.3 (2005-06-23) [i486-linux]

(On Breezy, but that's just because I'm a wimp)

- Matt

--
"[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp: a billion different
sublanguages in one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with