Adivce on Partitions

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 19:28:35 UTC 2006

At this very moment, my computer at home is downloading the Dapper
torrent, unattended (I hope). I am planning to install Dapper on my
laptop computer (Sony Vaio) and want some advice on partitioning the
system.

My current thinking is that I want to create one partition for /home,
one partition for my music files (/media ?), an appropriate swap
partition and the rest of the drive as /.

Questions:
- Is my partitioning scheme rational? I just want to be able to
reinstall the system in the future without that much hassle.

- How do I partition the drive? I understand that during the
installation I will get the option to create manual partitions (/home
and /media in this case). Can the rest of the partitions by created
automatically by the installer? Any info on the whole partitioning
procedure is appreciated.

- Is /media and appropriate place to store music files? Is there a more
"standard" place?

Thanks everyone,

--
Ylan