alsaconf gone.. need another way to configure soundcard

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Thu Jun 1 07:24:02 UTC 2006

Matthew Whittaker-Williams wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 May 2006 07:02, Matthew Kuiken wrote:
>
>> Matthew Whittaker-Williams wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>>> Well let me know if you know a way of dealing with the soundcard on this
>>> laptop.
>>>
>> I have a Sony Vaio VGN-TX650P with the Intel HDA chipset.  I got the
>> sound working in Breezy, but it was always pretty bad.  I fixed it by
>> going to Dapper.  I'm sorry that this is not a true solution, but I just
>> thought you'd like to know that it works well in 6.06.
>>
>> -Matt
>>

> Yea mine worked well in breezy too, but that was only due to being able to
> configure it by using alsaconf.
> I am using dapper now, but the problem is they removed alsaconf from the
> alsa-utils so there is no way of running alsaconf.
> Beside that I am not really sure what alsaconf actually does to setup these
> devices, i`ll have a look into this on another system.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Matt

I had an issue to start with on Dapper, but I found that the problems
were mainly in the mixer.  For some reason it shows two devices, and
both of them need to be turned on for a channel to produce sound.  On my
laptop, the Volume control in the Realtek device, and the PCM control in
the HDA Intel device both control the level of the volume of something
being played by RhythmBox.  Both of them need to be on in order for
sound to come out.  Also, earlier in the development cycle, the
headphone volume control was controlling my speaker volume rather than
the headphone.  This has been fixed for me, but maybe yours is still
mixed up?

I guess I'm trying to say that you may not need alsaconf.  It may just
be an issue with the channels in the mixer.  Before I figured out the
issue with the mixer, I was searching for alsaconf, too.

-Matt