Newer Linux (that is, kernel)

Pupeno pupeno at pupeno.com
Fri Jul 28 06:35:17 UTC 2006

I need, due to new hardware, a new Linux (that is, the kernel, Linux is a
kernel). What path do you recommend me to get it ? I see the following:

* Download the sources from Edgy repositories (.dsp and others) and re-build.
I tried it, rebuilding worked, trying to install required a module-init-tools
newer that what I have, would it be safe to just change that dependency on
the control file and re-build ?

* Download sources from Ubuntu using git. This seems living too in the edge,
isn't it ? it seems for people actively working on the packages of Linux, I
don't plan to do that.

* Download vanilla (mainstream) Linux and recompile, and here I have a couple
of choices. How:
  - using good old make and install
  - using make-kpkg, I tried this one
 or with what config:
  - using Ubuntu Daper config and running make-kpkg --config=oldconfig, I
tried this one.
  - using Ubuntu Edgy congig
The vanilla kernel I built hangs when booting, I am not sure why or doing
what. Depressing.

Thank you.
--
Pupeno <pupeno at pupeno.com> (http://pupeno.com)

PS: If there's a backport repository for the kernel and related modules, I'd
like to know about it.