Problem opening a web page in firefox that has a hyphen "-" character.

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Jul 31 22:07:23 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 16:12 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:58:26 -0500 sktsee <sktsee at tulsaconnect.com> wrote:
> >On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 13:15 -0500, sktsee wrote:
>
> >Still not sure why either generic or Ubuntu Firefox doesn't like the url
> >though.
> >
> I think a better question is why Windows does like it.  To my reading of
> the relevant RFCs, it's not a valid domanin name.
>
> Scott K

As I said in my previous post, Firefox in linux does request and receive
a valid response to the dns query. It just doesn't do anything with it.
In fact, every tool I've tried in linux will successfully send a dns
query and get a response from the server, but so far only dig, host,
nslookup (all bind utilities) actually return the result of the query.
Ping, curl, wget, will give error messages about an unknown host, but if
you watch your network traffic when executing those commands, you'll see
the query and response.

As for RFCs... well, there's RFCs and then there is the real world.
Wildcard records aren't standard, but they're used nevertheless.

--
sktsee