email.listen at googlemail.com email.listen at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 31 13:57:40 UTC 2006

Am Mon, 31. July 2006 14:02 schrieb Gary Allen Garibaldi:
> Richard A Downing FBCS CITP wrote:
> > One of the things that I really hate about Windows is the Trash can.
> > When I say delete, I want it gone - forever.  On windows I can set it up
> > so that delete means delete.  How do I do that with Ubuntu?
> >
> > Oh, and by the way, why is the 'empty the wastebasket' always greyed out
> > in the panel, and only available when the application is open?
> >
> > And why does the documentation call it Trash, but the application calls
> > it wastebasket?
May I ask, which application?
BTW. You may fill a bug report against the application in the Gnome bugzilla
[1] (if it is a Gnome application) or in Launchpad [2] so it may be fixed.

[...]
> Open the file browser and click on Edit / Preferences, then tab to
> Behavior and under Trash click Include a Delete command that bypasses Trash
- Now you may delete a file by pressing <Shift>+<Del> this file goes not to
  the trashcan.
- The old behavior moving a file to Trash is done by pressing <Ctrl>+<t>
- Right mouseclick on a file or folder shows 'Move to Trash' and 'Delete' in
  the popup menu.

Another clever way is a cron job which periodically searches for files which
have been accessed a given time ago and delete them.
For this you have to create  bash script which does a
find ~/Trash -atime 3 -iname "*"
and is started via cron.
This script has to be anounced to cron-service via 'crontab -u USERNAME -e'

You will find usefull documentation in the related man-pages:
man crontab
man cron

Or by asking on this list.

regards,