laptop install 6.06

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 20:34:19 UTC 2006

On 7/30/06, Eric Hanchrow <offby1 at blarg.net> wrote:

> And by the way -- consider using "aptitude" instead of "apt-get".
> It's slightly more convenient, because it remembers which packages you
> specifically asked for, and which were installed solely because
> something you asked for depended on them.  That way, if you do, say,
>
>         aptitude install frobotz
>
> ... and "frobotz" pulls in 38 other packages, then when you later do
>
>         aptitude purge frobotz
>
> aptitude will delete any of those 38 other packages upon which nothing
> else depends.  Nice.

You know, I've found it to be the case that will will install 38 other
packages, and then remove 30 of them.  I ran into this when I checked
out kubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop.  I ended up having to go to
Getting Back to a Pure Gnome on Ubuntu[1] to remove all the KDE and
XFCE packages.  Ironically, that very same page recommends aptitude
for the same reasons you do.

As for me, I've moved back to using apt-get and simply run it under
script and then save the typescript files with a date extension.  If I
want to remove something, I cut and paste all the "The following NEW
packages will be installed" list into the apt-get --purge remove
command.

[1] http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome.php

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."