Resolution changed and can't be returned to original resolution.

Tod Merley todbot88 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 09:54:40 UTC 2006

On 7/30/06, Tod Merley <todbot88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi Tony!
> >
> > This is a guess.  I think that the boot process talks to X but also to
> > Gnome.  So, if the monitor is unknown, both X and Gnome go to the crude
> > resolution in hopes that we will see something.
> >
> > Try going to System > Preferences > Screen Resolution -- see what you
> have
> > in the drop down menus -- hopefully, choose what you want, and then if
> it
> > works make it the default.
> >
> > Good hunting!
> >

> > Tod
> > --
> >

>  On 7/29/06, Tony K. <tony.kruse at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It won't let me choose anything except 640x480 and 60Hz.
> > >

> Hi Tony!
>
> Look for warnings (WW) and errors (EE) and anything else you can find in
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old.  Your hardware may be
> unhappy due to a lack of memory or something a bit different on the buses.
>
> Ones near the end of the log may be the most helpful.  You may do well to
> google the message or parts thereof.
>
> Good Hunting!
>
> Tod

Hi again Tony!

I remembered that this is occuring on two machines.  Probaby not a memory or
internal buss issue.

Thought 1.  Any changes in the KVM switch?  On mine I have to unplug the
mouse when changing to the Ubuntu machine (it is a strange mouse!).  This
allows it to reset.  Yes, if I start Ubuntu without being switched to it I
will find the same situation as you - Ubuntu talks to the monitor during
boot (technically startup) and if it finds the good ol monitor with the
usual capabilities all is well but if not then it goes crummy generic.  If I
start it with the KVM switched to it all goes well for the rest of the week
(acutally, until I turn it off).  It alaways goes back to normal if the
monitor is attached to the computer during boot.

Thought 2.  Any changes in the monitor.  It is kind of strange to me that no
horizontal or vertical sync rates are shown in the monitor section.  Note
the segment below from another Xorg.conf:
# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************
# Any number of monitor sections may be present
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "zap"
# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
HorizSync 31.5 - 90.0
VertRefresh 59.0 - 75.0
#### HorizSync 31.5, 35.15, 35.5
# HorizSync 30-64 # multisync
# HorizSync 31.5, 35.2 # multiple fixed sync frequencies
# HorizSync 15-25, 30-50 # multiple ranges of sync frequencies
# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.
# NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
# USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.
#### VertRefresh 50-70
EndSection

Thought 3.  I came across this site doing a search I think on your video
card.  Note the section on Xorg (and lspci and slmod):
http://www.xms.se/~zap/linux/aceraspire1355lc.html

Good Hunting!

Tod