How to recover files lost in crash?

W. Irving ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Jul 28 19:15:20 UTC 2006

W. Irving;1308204 Wrote:
> I am running Ubuntu with ext2 on my dodgy laptop, which just crashed,
> requiring a cold start. On startup, Ubuntu detected the unclean
> shutdown, scanned my drive, and requested I manually run fsck (so I
> did). Now, after rebooting, some files and folders seem to be missing
> (two days worth of work).

> I checked /lost+found but this was all I found:

Code:
--------------------
  >   > -rw-r--r-- 1 root  root  12582912 2006-06-08 19:10 #1065134

  > -rw-rw---- 1 mysql adm         98 2006-07-27 11:16 #34684

  > -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql     9416 2006-07-27 11:16 #35104

  > -rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql     8736 2006-07-27 12:43 #82629
--------------------

> Which doesn't seem to be anything related to the crash (which took
> place on 28 July, at 00:30).

> Can I do anything to get these lost files back?

I found two programs (e2undel and recover) which managed to find a few
hundred files from the 28th (found very few files from other dates).
However, all these seemed to have come from the Firefox cache.

So I still don't know what to do to get back the lost files. Any help
would be incredibly appreciated!

--
W. Irving