competing with exchange (and losing)

Henk Postma henkpm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 17:46:37 UTC 2006

On 7/26/06, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> I had a customer using a Linux based e-mail solution when the issue of
> calendars, contact lists, and task lists came up.  They also wanted the
> ability to connect with remote devices and connect to their VoIP switch
> as supplied by their VoIP vendor.  Can you tell they are using Outlook
> for the e-mail client? :-)

Hi Eric,

I think you're a little too pessimistic. Groupware stuff is quite
mature on linux. I haven't tried this myself, but you may have a look
at Kroupware. It's been around since 2003, and is fully functional.

http://freshmeat.net/projects/kroupware/

"Kroupware is a Microsoft Exchange replacement that was commissioned
by the German government. It features email capability, task planning,
calendar scheduling, contacts management, notes keeping and sharing
resources with your co-workers in the group. On the client side, you
can use the following software packages: KMail, KOrganizer,
KAddressbook, or Kitchensync (for Palm sync)."

I don't understand the part you write about voip:

> use plug-ins which has their own shortcomings with regards to stability
> and cost of rollout and none of them integrated with the VoIP vendor[1].
>
> [1] VoIP vendor was desktop to switch solution so asterisk is not an
> option.  They were willing to just pay money and get the job done.

If they are willing to spend some money, they can get the
kolab/kroupware guys to make the voip plugin :) Seriously, what are
you writing here?

-- Henk

--
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~postma/