How can I just turn off the screensaver and auto-suspend?

Atrus Qiao atrusqiao at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 17:01:47 UTC 2006

Hi everyone.

  I've just installed Xubuntu 6.06 on my second-hand laptop Toshiba 490xcdt
with Pentium II 266 CPU, 96MB Ram and a S3 virge MX+ Video Card. (You know,
a student usually can't afford some good hardwares) I have to say
that Xubuntu is cool and fast enough for me.

  But not all the things go well. When I try to start X with its s3virge
driver, my computer hangs. I'd tried lots of distributions before but none
of them seems to work(FreeBSD, NetBSD, even Gentoo compiled by myself). So I
ended it up by using vesa driver, thus my system lacks 3d acceleration. I
wanna trun the ScreenSaver off, But I cannot find the app to configure this.
Is it OK to just uninstall all the packages related to "screensaver"? I mean
is this too rude to the system...

Another one is that when I close my laptop's LCD display, the system will
automatically suspend. But in most of the cases I want my computer to
perform some kind of work (say, calculating the molecular dynamics) without
leave it's LCD widely open. I can't find any kind of Power Management
Setting anywhere. So how can I turn this off?

Thanks a lot.

--
- Atrus -