Avoid loss on freezes

Terence J. Golightly vze27hs6 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 28 14:57:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 06:27 +0000, Pupeno wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to avoid as much as possible the loss of data in the often freezes
> that I have on my notebook (between two and five a week). Any
> recommendation ? something like avoid buffering as much as possible on
> reiserfs ? both my partitions are reiserfs.
> Thank you.

Greetings Pupeno,

To minimize data loss when your system freezes and efforts have failed
try this:

Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring.

The first letter of each word in the mnemonic is for the command key you
press in combination with Alt-SysRq. (SysRq is the other function on the
PrtScn button.) In other words, press these keyboard commands in this
order:

Alt-SysRq-R   (Puts keyboard in raw mode so kernel can receive commands)
Alt-SysRq-S   (Puts the hard drive in sync)
Alt-SysRq-E   (Stops all running processes)
Alt-SysRq-I   (Kills all remaining processes)
Alt-SysRq-U   (Unmounts the file system and mounts it in read-only mode)
Alt-SysRq-B   (Reboots the system) or O (shuts system off)

use the left alt key,

I gleaned the above from the link below: (google is your friend :-))

http://www.linuxclues.com/articles/09.htm

Down in the middle of the page, you'll find it.

Hope you find this helpful,

Terry