Suspend2 (Dagobah's packages)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jul 28 00:30:45 UTC 2006

Christofer C. Bell wrote:

> On 7/27/06, Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> wrote:
>> ยท Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com>:
>>
>> > you."  So I think unless someone plans to propose to the technical
>> > committee something more convincing than "but it's better because, um,
>> > because I said!" then it's not going to change.
>>
>> Is "it works and the in-kernel code doesn't work" convincing
>> enough?
>
> No, it's not convincing enough.  Replacing the suspend code in the
> kernel that Ubuntu ships places an onerous burden to continue
> maintaining it into the future.

Not to mention the fact that it isn't true _in general_, anyway.  Some
people haven't had success with suspend2 (of course, perhaps because it
requires you to do-it-yourself), others like me have no problem at all with
the in-kernel code.

> It will place the Ubuntu development
> team in the position of maintaining a kernel fork that uses a
> completely different suspend subsystem.

And that, aiui, no longer has a maintainer.  I'd _love_ to see suspend2 in
Ubuntu, but the problems seem significant.

> I'll wager that's a position
> they don't want to place themselves in.  Granted, there is value add
> and a patch set that they currently apply, but those are small beans
> compared to the level of effort that's been outlined here by Matthew
> Garrett.

"Here"?  This thread suddenly appeared in ubuntu-users today.  Please don't
just say "here" - where did it begin?  KNode is nice enough to try
searching google, but gmane news doesn't get archived at google...

--
derek