Ubuntu Dapper (6.06) Install fails on cdrom open, kernel panic -- please help

Alain -- ubuntu at asoundmove.net
Wed Jul 26 17:19:56 UTC 2006

From/De [David Woyciesjes]
On/Le [2006/07/26 16:11]
> Alain -- wrote:
<...>
>> _However_ your suggestions about the CD drive prompted me to question
>> my set-up. In fact I have two CD drives on my secondary IDE. I was
>> using the slave. Having now placed the ubuntu CD-ROM in the master, I
>> can boot and get the system up and running (very slow, but I suppose
>> that's the name of the game).
>>
>> I still got one of those messages 'cdrom: open failed', and I also got
>> a good few IDE error messages, but the Kernel did not crash in panic
>> and I have the ubuntu GUI with the Examples and Install icons on the
>> desktop. Currently going through the Install...
>> Will try this list again, undoubtedly, when I stumble across another
>> tree.
>
>     Hmmm, well, I'm not entirely surprised that there were issues trying
> to boot from the secondary IDE slave CD drive. If there are still
> troubles, try having _only_ the 20GB HDD connected as Primary Master,
> and the faster/newer CD drive as Secondary Master.
>     As far as my suggestion on drive locations, it's related to what
> gets used more. About 90% of the time, CD drives aren't used. So if you
> have the2 HDDs on separate channels, there is no congestion to fight
> with from the other HDD. Same reason that when you setup a software RAID
> system, you put only one drive on each IDE channel - performance.

I get what you mean, it all makes perfect sense and I'd love to do
that... but my IDE leads are two short and I can't cross them over
between CDDs and HDDs.
At this point the installation from the CD is complete, the system boots
Ok from the HD, so I'm happy.

Now starts the fun.
I have, for sure, a network card in there, but it did not get recognised
automatically. I will have to dig up some facts, I suppose, to get it to
work.

Thanks again,
Alain.