eth0 missing - Dapper counts from eth1 to eth3

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 26 16:44:06 UTC 2006

Gilles Gravier wrote:

> And your /etc/iftab should contain lines like :
>
> etho mac 00:40:F4:A4:CF:8F
>
> And if you have those, then they will map properly, and always, to what
> you expect.

Were you responding to me?  If not why quote me?  If you were, you seem to
have missed the point.  My system is handling the randomness of the
interface assignments just fine.  The only issue so far was fetchmail,
which was originally skipping some servers if eth1 wasn't up.  That's just
a by-product of not being able to access those servers from behind a
corporate firewall, and relying on eth0 wasn't the correct method, anyway
(because it meant that I wouldn't get mail if I plugged in to a wired
network anywhere else, either).

I intend to leave /etc/iftab off my system until such time as I find
something it really breaks.
--
derek