Bug in build-essential. Dapper

azz ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Jul 25 23:52:14 UTC 2006

Zizo;1299936 Wrote:
> I am having the following error when issuing the command:

> *sudo apt-get install build-essential

> *Reading package lists... Done

> Building dependency tree... Done

> or been moved out of Incoming.

> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely
> that

> the package is simply not installable and a bug report against

> that package should be filed.

> build-essential: Depends: libc6-dev but it is not going to be
> installed or

> libc-dev

> Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.0) but it is not going to be
> installed

> E: Broken packages

> how to solve this? Any idea?

> Thank you.

What repositories do you have enabled?  Are you online?  Did you
install using the Desktop cd?

Build-essential and its dependencies are on the alternate cd.  The
packages are also on a repository on the Desktop (live) cd, but that
repo is seperate from the rest of the live session.

Once installed, you need to insert the live cd again while you are at
the ubuntu desktop and the package manager will pop up, asking if you
would like to use the packages on the cd's repo.

You will then be able to install build-essential.

--
azz