Installing rpm package in Ubuntu 6.06

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jul 25 14:10:44 UTC 2006

Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> Aron Lopes Petrucci wrote:
>> But, now, I'm trying to install MySQL GUI Query Browser, MySQL GUI
>> Admin, and Free Pascal "Lazarus". - I have a lot of hours in Delphi.
>>
>> The problem: I have downloaded Lazarus and MySQL GUIs rpm packages
>> in /home/Software/Lazarus and /home/Software/MysqlGUI, then I use
>> synaptic menu: Files->add dowloaded packages (sorry, but my synaptic
>> menu is in portuguese, I don't know the exact command in English) and
>> browse to the location above. Then... the rpm packages are disable.
>
> What's wrong whith the "mysql-client" and "mysql-query-browser" packages
> which are already in the Ubuntu repository? Why not use those?

I agree.  Alien is the tool to use if you absolutely _must_ use an rpm, but
it's rarely necessary.  If you need software:

1) search for packages in Ubuntu
2) search for ubuntu packages (ie, made for but not part of Ubuntu)
3) try Debian packages
4 or 5) use an rpm via alien
5 or 4) make .deb package from source

The last is probably the right way to do it if you can't already find
a .deb, but the rpm is admittedly simpler in most cases.

Googling "lazarus .deb" shows there are .deb files out there - try one of
them first.
--
derek