What Computer to Buy?

ubuntu at rio.vg ubuntu at rio.vg
Tue Jul 25 02:54:16 UTC 2006

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday 24 July 2006 21:51, Gregory PiƱero wrote:
>> Ah yes, one more requirement, must be in the price range of 0 to $120.00
>> :-)
>>
>> I really don't have sophisticated graphics needs, I just want things
>> to happen fast on the desktop, run that XGL thing, and have video not
>> be choppy.
>>
> In that case, you might consider an Intel motherboard with onboard graphics.
> They work out of the box with Dabber.  Intel support for open source drivers
> is generally very good.  I haven't tried XGL though.

Integrated graphics are *NOT* recommended for XGL or any graphics load
whatsoever, for that matter.  Stay away from integrated graphics and
poke it with a sharp stick.  It's a horribly idea with the absolute
worst in performance.

The only cards to reliably manage XGL are nvidia based.

Take a look at: http://tinyurl.com/pwueg

Any of those cards should do OK and are well within your price range.