Can't sleep on a G4 Powerbook

Michael V. De Palatis mvd at gatech.edu
Mon Jul 24 15:15:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 03:33:19PM +0100, snowdrop wrote:
> Is this issue resolved or still not working? :-k
>
> I have the same problem and posted it on a new thread
>
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221828
>
> Any ideas are welcome.

As a whole, hardware suspend rarely works in Linux. This is
unfortunate, and is due largely to several things, partially that some
video drivers are proprietary, partially that all hardware is
different. It is unfortunate.

One thing that you may wish to look into is suspend2. It's not
hardware suspend ("sleep" mode), but rather software suspend
("hibernate" mode), and seems to work better than the standard
hibernate feature. By "better," I mean that it shuts down and resumes
much quicker. The only complication is that using suspend2 requires
patching your kernel. There are several HOWTOs on ubuntuforums that
detail the process.

Mike