help to install ubuntu

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Mon Jul 24 09:36:59 UTC 2006

appalaraju kalidindi wrote:
> */"Robert E. Butts" <himco2 at sbcglobal.net>/* wrote:
>
>     On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 13:00 +0100, appalaraju kalidindi wrote:
>     > Hello
>     > I got Ubuntu CD shipped by them and tried to install. But I am able to
>     > proceed up to step no. 5/6 where I chose manual editing of partitions.
>     > Box shows to allocate disc space. After that nothing happens. I see
>     > that the cd light is blinking and still nothing happens for a long
>     > time. Frustrated, I reboot the system to windows.
>     > I have 256mb ram, 2400AMD and 40gb hard disc with CDEF drives. C has
>     > WinXP and D has Win98. I wanted to install Ubuntu on E by partitioning
>     > with "Partition Magic" and provided sufficent space as recommended.
>     > I fail to understand why I am unable to proceed with the installation.
>     > Can somebody help me please.
>     > Thank you in advance
>     >
>     > ______________________________________________________________________
>     It takes awhile sometimes for partitioning to finish. If there was disk
>     activity, the installer might still have been working. Your problem
>     might also be a hardware issue, specifically, GParted can't read your
>     drive. I've had this problem with other versions of Linux using
>     Qtparted.
>
>     One suggestion you might try is to delete the E drive you just created -
>     I am assuming it is blank because that's where Ubuntu was going to be
>     installed. At the partitioning step, choose Automatic, and let Ubuntu
>     install into the unallocated space.
>
>     If you are going to manually partition, it would help to know a bit more
>     about your hard drive, and to have a bit more information than "nothing
>     happens" .. Does the monitor go black? If not, is there a progress bar
>     on screen? Are there any errors or warning messages that appear? Can
>     you see the GParted window? Is your disk activity light (not the CD
>     light) blinking? When you created the drive with Partition Magic, did
>     you create a swap f ile as well? What kind of filesystem: ext2, ext3,
>     or Reiser?

> Hello Mr Robert,
> Thank you for trying to help me.  First let me explain that Partition E
> is sub divided into 3 Partitions, ie E (logical 4gb), LinuxExt3 (5.2GB)
> and Linux Swap (258 MB) with "partition magic".  Then I have started
> installation of UBUNTU.  I am able to proceed upto step 5/6 smoothly.

1) What are the linux allocated drive and partition names given to
your root and swap partitions before you 'proceed'? (and other
allocated names would be of interest)
2) is the check box indicating each ( / and swap) will be formatted?

> Then nothing happens literally except blinking CD light and CD does
> rotate.  No dialogue boxes, no warnings, no progress bars, no disc
> activity, moniter doesnt go blank......for hours (I waited
> patiently...).

I had to wait  some minutes, that seemed like a long time. You were
certainly patient. It sounds a bit like the chosen configuration in
the screen (partitions and mount points, before proceed) is maybe
giving a problem.
A full answer to question 1) above might be helpful here.

>  I got 5 CD's shipped to me by Ubuntu and tried them all
> without success.

The CDs are ok then.

> I just do not know how to overcome this problem.  Your help will be
> highly appreciated.  thanks

(Note that it is easier to take part in news threads if your replies
are at the bottom of the original posting. Some people will avoid
answering top posted items because it can get very confusing in
technical responses)

hth
--
ac