Dual-boot on Dapper?

Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) hylton at conacher.co.za
Sun Jul 23 18:56:03 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have a machine here that has 2 HDDs(1x IDE, 1xSATA). Windows XP is
loaded on the IDE HDD. I have tried twice to install Dapper on the SATA
HDD in the hope that I could dual-boot between Win XP and ubuntu. Alas
this has not ben achievable, yet :(

Whilst the machine was powered down I unplugged the SATA drive from the
M/B. I started the machine and installed Windows on trhe IDE drive. I
then powered down reconnected the SATA drive and booted from the ubuntu
DVD I have. I chose to run from the CD and then double clicked on the
install icon to install the OS. I went through the steps required and
partitioned the SATA drive with a 10GB /,1GB swap and 150GB /home
partition. I continued the install and at the end the option of
restarting or continuing with the Live CD was given. I chose to restart
which seemed to hang and so I warm booted the machine via the reset switch.

When I boot the machine after installing ubuntu from a DVD I am only
presented with a blank screen with the word GRUB on it. Pressing enter
does nothing, no typing is available and even pressing Escape doesn't help.

Does ubuntu wxist with other operating systems and how do I provide a
bootloader so that I can choose which OS to boot into? What did I do
wrong above? Should I unplug the IDE HDD when installing ubuntu? Should
I have selected an OEM install or server install or what?

I choose to run Windows as that is the only OS that can run certain apps
I use. I also choose Linux as a preferred Od on which I work but how can
I get both to work together?

Help appreciated