help to install ubuntu

appalaraju kalidindi karaju1234 at yahoo.co.in
Sun Jul 23 12:00:44 UTC 2006

Hello
  I got Ubuntu CD shipped by them and tried to install. But I am able to proceed up to step no. 5/6 where I chose manual editing of partitions. Box shows to allocate disc space. After that nothing happens. I see that the cd light is blinking and still nothing happens for a long time. Frustrated, I reboot the system to windows.
I have 256mb ram, 2400AMD and 40gb hard disc with CDEF drives. C has WinXP and D has Win98. I wanted to install Ubuntu on E by partitioning with "Partition Magic" and provided sufficent space as recommended.
I fail to understand why I am unable to proceed with the installation. Can somebody help me please.
  Thank you in advance