xhost

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at schoenhaber.de
Sun Jul 23 09:31:32 UTC 2006

Marek Pawinski wrote:
> I did some updates just now and since i have rebooted i am unable to run
> any apps like kwrite remotely from my desktop through a ssh session.
>
> I have tried xhost +<IP> but still get an error of "cannot connect to X
> server"

If you tell the list what exactly you did, it will propably be much easier for
the people reading this list to help you.
How did you connect to the remote machine? For example
ssh -X <host>
or
ssh -Y <host>?
If you neither use "-X" nor "-Y" is "ForwardX11" set to "yes" in the local
ssh_config?
Is the DISPLAY environment variable appropriately set on the remote machine?
Does the sshd_config on the remote machine allow X11Forwarding?
Is the error message above really complete? No hint which X server the remote
app fails to connect to?

Regards
  mks