linux-image-386 and nvidia driver

Serg sergicles at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 05:13:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 18:14 -0500, sktsee wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 06:07 +1000, Serg wrote:
> > Howdy All,
> >
> > I have recently upgraded package:
> > Linux-image-386
> >
> > This is basically (and as far as I can tell) an abstract of package:
> > linux-image-2.6.15-26-386
>
> > Previous (and now current) version I was/am using is:
> > linux-image-2.6.15-23-386.
> >
> > After the upgarde, the X server refused to start with message relating
> > to it not being able to find Nvidia driver. So I uninstalled:
> > linux-image-386
> > linux-image-2.6.15-26-386
>
> You shouldn't have needed to do this as you could have selected which
> kernel image to boot from grub's menu if it was updated correctly.
> >
> > and reverted back to:
> > linux-image-2.6.15-23-386
> >
> > Is there any explanation as to why this happens? And is there a way to
> > fix this?
>
> It happened on my system as well. I'm not entirely sure where the error
> originates, but my guess is that depmod should have been run after
> installing the kernel package, or on bootup, but wasn't for some reason.
> Of course, that's just a wild ass guess since I didn't spend any time
> trying to recreate the problem for debugging purposes. Anyway, I would
> suggest you re-install linux-image-386 (in fact, make sure all the
> metapackages linux-386, linux-image-386, and
> linux-restricted-modules-386 are installed) then update your system
> again.
>
> If after rebooting using the updated kernel image you get same problem,
> take the following steps:
>
> 1. Login to the terminal. That's where you should be dumped after X gets
> finshed asking you if you want to see error logs (choose no).
> 2. At the prompt type "modinfo nvidia" If it's the same problem I had,
> then you should get an error message saying that nvidia couldn't be
> found.
> 3 Type "sudo depmod -a" and let it run. It'll take a few to several
> seconds depending on how fast your system is.
> 4. When depmod is done, try "modinfo nvidia" again. Hopefully, you'll
> see details of the nvidia module printed out.
> 5. If the above modinfo is successful, type "sudo modprobe -v nvidia" to
> load the nvidia module. If no error appears, then type
> "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start" to start the desktop manager.
>
> If you had success following the directions above, then the problem
> should be fixed for subsequent reboots.
>

> --
> sktsee

Howdy,

No luck, unfortunatelly.

However I noticed that when I install metapackages they endup being
xxx-26 branch, while installing that I don't seem to get nor can I find
restricted-modules in apt-cache. I am guessing thats the main problem.

Can someone check what kernel version they are running and
linux-restricted-modules version.

Thanks,
   Serg