sbackup fails - solved

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 18:09:33 UTC 2006

On 7/22/06, Tony Arnold <tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-07-22 at 17:32 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:
> > I'm using sbackup to do scheduled backups. But I get a message from cron
> > saying:
> >
> > E: Another Simple Backup daemon already running: exiting
>
> The problem was caused by a lock file left over in /root. Seems a non
> standard place to put a lock file! What's wrong with /var/lock like most
> other apps?
>
> I'm still interested in suggestions for alternatives to sbackup. I'm
> after something which is straight forward to set up bu is sufficiently
> intelligent to manage the backup save-sets etc.

I use BackupPC to manage backups for two Linux PCs and a Mac. It also
was used to backup a Windows PC (before it became the second computer
running Ubuntu in the house). It's not point-and-click, but not too
tough to set up either and it's nearly infinitely flexible. I have it
set up to do weekly full backups and daily incrementals, and anyone in
the house can use the Web interface to restore files. Let me know if
you want help setting that up. It's in universe.

-Eamonn