Md5sums and burning CDs

Gabriel M Dragffy dragffy at yandex.ru
Sat Jul 22 03:32:17 UTC 2006

Hi, I used to use Kde on ubuntu, but have now changed to Gnome, for the
better I think. However I find that there is no way to easily verify
data written to CD or DVD, using either Nautilus burning features or
Gnombaker. I like both of these programs but they can't verify a good
write, which is esential when burning OS discs. I don't fancy installing
K3b since it will also bring many junk libraries in with it. How can I
use the command line MD5SUM utility to check the MD5 of a written CD?

I can find out the MD5 of the .iso by doing md5sum foo.iso
But finding out the MD5 of a written CD by doing,
md5sum /media/dvdrecorder/*  gives me differing results.

Cheers,
Gabe