installation opinions

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jul 21 10:00:57 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:34:53 +0200
Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> wrote:

> Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au>:
[snip]
> >> 2G will be fine
> >>

> > Umm, no it won't...
>
> Yes, it will. There's hardly anything, which you should put on
> the / filesystem. Nearly everything goes to /usr and /var - but
> the biggies will be in /usr.
>
> > For example, if the OP wants to install additional
> > desktops/ window managers/ big apps in addition to the default stuff, 2G
> > will run out almost immediately.
>
> Nope.
>

> Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda5               522028    246776    275252  48% /
>
> This system is *HEAVILY* used.

Right - but you also have /usr/ and /var/ on separate partitions. Th O.P.
was proposing only / and /home - hence my comment. Of course, if you
have /usr and var/ separated, this will cut down usage on / a *lot* .

Quote from the OP, in case you missed it:  ;-)
"planning to have / and /home on
separate partitions, but I want to maximize the size of /home and still
allow for future growth under / "

LVM sounds like the right idea though, I agree .

Peter