Live CD/DVD Doesn't Work?!?!

inertkinesis at verizon.net inertkinesis at verizon.net
Fri Jul 21 09:40:11 UTC 2006

PLEASE DISREGARD THE SEVERAL-MINUTES-OLDER VERSION OF THIS MESSAGE

Amichai, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by full hardware specs, but here are the basic specs of my system and if there's any other info that would be useful I can tell you easily:

>>AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-44 CPU
>>2GB DDR PC3200 RAM
>>2 x 256MB nVidia 7900 GS GPUs (set up for SLi)
>>17" WUXGA 1920x1200
>>160GB RAID0 array (2 x 80GB Hitachi 7200RPM SATA NCQ) (Ubuntu will not be installed on this array, for now)
>>nVidia nForce4 SATA RAID Controller
>>60GB Fujitsu External HD, USB 2.0 (2.5" laptop drive in a Byttec enclosure)
>>Atheros Wireless Network Adapter
>>Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Much of that is copied right out of device manager in XP Pro.

I've tried using the alternate install CD, and I was able to install onto the Fujitsu external drive. However, when booting from it, it goes all the way to the blinking cursor just before the login, and it freezes. I can, at that point, press the power button and see the login screen, but only for a moment before it shuts down.

So I'm now looking for advice to a) make the Live CD or DVD function properly or b) make the installation on my external drive work properly.

--Mike

 On 7/21/06, Amichai Rotman <amichai at iglu.org.il> wrote: Hello fellow Ubuntuner, I am guessing these problems are related somehow to your video adapter. I think we could be more helpful if you provide us with your full hardware specs... You can load LiveCDs with different options than the default (press F1 when you see the boot: prompt). Hope these pointers help... Amichai.