How to Add a Shortcut to IRC Room on Desktop

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 00:43:22 UTC 2006

On 7/18/06, Gregory PiƱero <gregpinero at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, can anyone tell me if this is in fact taking me to the
> Ubuntu IRC channel?
> xchat --url=irc://irc.freenode.net/#ubuntu

You may choose to change the "irc.freenode.net" address to
"irc.ubuntu.com".  While I don't believe there are any plans to move
the #ubuntu hierarchy off of freenode, there could be such a move in
the future.  Much like irc.debian.org used to point to
irc.freenode.net, and now points to irc.oftc.net, the irc.ubuntu.com
address could eventually point somewhere else.

If you leave the address as irc.freenode.net, you will not
automatically "move" with the hierarchy to the new network of IRC
servers.  Again, such a move is unlikely, but you're prepared in the
future to automatically move with the network should it ever take
place.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."