What Computer to Buy?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Thu Jul 20 13:51:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 11:18:36PM -0400, Gregory PiƱero wrote:
> Plus the choices out there just seem overwhelming.  What motherboard,
> video card, etc?  I'm definately considering this route though.

Consider getting something like an Intel 915G ATX
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121248R).

The key item here is that it has onboard accelerated video that is
Ubuntu compatible out-of-the-box, period.  No messing with proprietary
drivers!  This board also has lots of slots, takes upto 4GB of RAM,
audio, gigabit ethernet, good number of USB ports, SATA and ATA.

At $53 bucks *it* is not going to crush your budget.

Then you add:

 - CD/DVD drive
 - ATA cable for CD/DVD drive
 - two SATA hard disks to use in software raid 1 (religious item here,
   if you aren't part of that religion, then just one disk).
 - SATA cable(s)
 - case, with enough bays for all your disks, probably best to get one
   with a power supply already included.
 - case fan--disks last longer when kept cool
 - CPU and heatsink
 - RAM
 - keyboard and mouse (probably PS/2 is best, more compatible)
 - display (LCD if you can afford it is nice)
 - UPS if you don't want to lose your work to a power blink.

You are in for some mix-and-match to make sure you have everything
figured out, but the result will save you money over a pre-built that
matched it--and it is satisfying.

Another thing, mainstream computers can have funny issues that make
them less Linux compatible.  A generic motherboard that Dell or HP
hasn't customized is a better bet for Linux compatibility.

Oh, and if you build it yourself you don't have to pay the Microsoft
tax (aka a Windows XP license) that you don't need.

If you want to post your shopping list before you place the order I'm
sure you will get plenty of opinions on whether it all adds up.

Good luck.

-kb, the Kent who has assembled many computers by now.