AMD64 server 6.06 - looking for pointers to Makefile setup

Michal Ludvig michal at logix.cz
Thu Jul 20 02:02:35 UTC 2006

Stu Beal wrote:
> Good Morning. I'm a new convert to Ubuntu (other systems Debian + Mac OS
> X).
>
> I am looking for a pointer to any development hints and kinks for an
> Athlon based server (LAMP). I have a pile of C software to implement and
> I'm a little mystified as to all the options for compiling. -mcpu is
> depricated, and -march=athlon or -mtune=athlon generates "error: CPU you
> selected does not support x86-64 instruction set".

In most cases it's safe to leave it on defaults, i.e. no CPU-tuning
flags are needed. GCC & friends will generate 64bit code for you as soon
as you're on 64 distro.

If you're really really sure you need to tune it  use -m64 -march=k8.
IIRC the only other valid option in x86-64 mode for -march is "nocona"
that's to be used when you're on Intel's EM64T platform. But it's worth
the troubles only if you're compiling e.g. some high performance
mathematical software, not for general LAMP stuff that waits for I/O
most of the time anyway ;-)

Michal
* http://www.logix.cz/michal