What Computer to Buy?

Tom Smith tom71713-ubuntu at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 19 23:06:06 UTC 2006

Jared Buck wrote:

> Hi Greg, welcome to the group :)
>
> I use a Dell Dimension computer that runs Ubuntu in a dual boot
> configuration.  Linux distros are famous for being able to run very
> well on minimal specs, it just depends on which distro you want to use
> :)  Just about any computer can run Linux if you configure it correctly.

I agree, to an extent. I think it's about having Windows-like
autodetection and capabilities, which are commonly not available in
win-devices like winmodems--these devices are usually only partially
supported in Linux, just enough to make them usable.

And to comment on the links

http://www.emperorlinux.com/
http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

and the cost of the laptops...

I think you're paying a premium for these devices for a couple of reasons.

1) Did you take a look at the hardware specs? 64-bit AMD and Intel CPUs
and Duo Core Intel CPUs. 4GB of RAM. 200GB hard drives. 17" LCD. Among
others...

2) You're getting *guaranteed* compatibility. No guessing. No
"tweaking". Nothing. It just works because the vendor already did the
leg work to make sure all the hardware is compatible with Linux.

The whole $7000 price tag on the "Unix Workstation replacement" is WAY
high, but it is kind of a cool laptop... You must admit. :-D

So I think, in this case, higher price generally equals fewer headaches
and fewer compatibility issues.