Ubuntu i386 completely installed on my P3 but don't know username so cannot login ? HELP !

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 14:13:49 UTC 2006

On 7/19/06, Mike Shelley <mikeashelley at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have " successfully " installed Ubuntu i-386 on my
> "old" P3-800MHZ but when I get to the login prompt..I
> can't recall the text prompts requesting for a
> username ( probably in my excitement to get going,I
> did not read all the promts!)so there was no way I
> could get it going..tried reinstalling the whole thing
> again but to get stuck @ the same login page ! Sounds
> ridiculous..but What do I do ? Is there adefault
> username I should use. I remember my password..but
> what should I use for the username ?

You don't mention what version or what kind of Ubuntu you installed.
Was it a text-mode (non-graphical) install? Maybe you installed the
server version, in which case the username is probably root. If you
installed the LiveCD, it's pretty obvious when it's asking you for
what username you want. It's one of the few questions you get asked...

-Eamonn