Just installed 6.06 and can't navigate past entering name & PW

Charles L. Edwards chuckl.edwards at comcast.net
Tue Jul 18 19:05:18 UTC 2006

Just installed Ubuntu 6.06 but am unable to navigate with mouse or keyboard.  If I left click mouse I get a dot which when left key held down I create a block of another color.  Before sign on there is about a minute of a garbled screen.  When I do manage to find preferences w/mouse it hangs up when trying to set mouse preferences.  I have a microsoft intellipoint attached mouse, a microsoft intellipoint keyboard, a Nvidia GeForce 6600LE video card, 2 gig mem, Asus P5WD2 mb w/975 chipset, intel D920 CPU, Hauppauge WinTV 250, HP DVD 740, WD 2000 200 GB HD w/XP Pro installed, and a WD 2500 250GB HD with hopefully ubuntu 6.06 installed.  I wanted to assign 10 gig to upuntu, 40 gig to home and 200 gig to a common fat32 but never saw any options for these parameters and because I cannot navigate I cannot go into disks to see.  Is my hardware incompatible?

I wanted to learn Linux but if I cannot use it on this PC without incuring additional expenses I'll run WIPEDISK and try to remove the dual boot option.

Can anyone help me get started and give me steps of what I should do to be able to test and run it.