Alternative install and server kernel

Gary gary at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu
Wed Jul 19 01:42:54 UTC 2006

Adam Conrad wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> If I've done an alternative install of Dapper in order to get LVM
>> support, how could I get the kernels that have been specially tuned for
>> servers that are found on the server installation?
>>

> The server CD uses the same "alternate" installer, so you could have
> used that for LVM support as well.  "alternate" means "alternate to the
> desktop CD".  That said, there's no point in reinstalling, as the only
> difference between a server install from the alternate CD and a base
> install from the server CD is the kernel, so just do this:
>
> # apt-get install linux-server
>
> ... Adam

Thanks Adam (and Daniel who gave essentially the same suggestion). I
used "alternate" because I wasn't able to get LVM using the server
install. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I found the disk
partitioning on "alternate" worked while I was not able to get LVM disk
partitioning to work on server.

Thanks,
Gary