Alternative install and server kernel

Daniel Amendoeira daniel.amendoeira at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 23:54:30 UTC 2006

Gary wrote:
> If I've done an alternative install of Dapper in order to get LVM
> support, how could I get the kernels that have been specially tuned
> for servers that are found on the server installation?
>
> Gary

Hi Gary

If you have setup the apt repos, and done all the updates, i thinks it's
just a matter of installing the 'linux-image-server' package from you
pkg tool of choice.

Example:
$ sudo apt-get install linux-image-server

This will install an aditional kernel image - with all dependencies -,
beside the default you get from the alternate CD.
I've done this for my server machine, which has mirror on the boot
partition (my problem was RAID, LVM is yours...).

The linux-image-server has (I believe) support for LVM that you need. I
think the difference between server & alternate is in the installer,
that on the server installation doesn't quite cope with /boot on
/dev/md0 (At least to me it didn't...).

--

Daniel Amendoeira