Removing old kernel entries in GRUB boot loader menu

charlie derr cderr at simons-rock.edu
Tue Jul 18 20:43:49 UTC 2006

Ylan Segal wrote:
> Ouattara Aziz wrote:
>>> If you really want to get rid of (an older) kernel version you can
>>> look at the entry you've commented out (or deleted) from
>>> /boot/grub/menu.lst and delete the vmlinuz file from wherever you've
>>> got the binaries stashed (often in /boot).
>>
>> Please, *never* do that ! That's an improper method to remove something
>> install by apt. *Always* use the apt solution (unless you have compile
>> your kernel yourself) !
>
> See my other post. Even if you compiled the kernel yoruself, apt is the
> right tool to use to install and remove.

Only if you used the kernel-package tools to compile your kernel.  If you did it the "old-fashioned way" (without packaging into a .deb),
when you first built the kernel, then you're going to need to manually remove the pieces you've manually installed.

Apologies for the bad info in my initial reply -- my presumption was that a person who had too many kernels in his/her grub boot menu might
have built a couple of them "from scratch".

If the kernel(s) was/were installed as part of a package, then aptitude or synaptic is definitely the way you want to remove it/them.

	~c