PyPE Segfaults

Scott J. Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Tue Jul 18 12:23:46 UTC 2006

Gabriel M Dragffy wrote:
> Hi, I installed pype from the repositories. If I run from the menu and
> select FILE --> NEW it just exits. Running it from the terminal lets me
> see the following when it crashes:
>
> ~$ pype
> [ Tue Jul 18 18:54:28 2006 ] Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/pype/plugins/single_instance.py", line 63, in
> send_documents
>     startup(0)
>   File "/usr/share/pype/plugins/single_instance.py", line 85, in startup
>     Listener()
>   File "/usr/share/pype/plugins/single_instance.py", line 47, in __init__
>     self.bind(('127.0.0.1', 9999))
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/asyncore.py", line 304, in bind
>     return self.socket.bind(addr)
>   File "<string>", line 1, in bind
> error: (98, 'Address already in use')

This is kind of odd.  It looks like its trying to
dynamically bind to a port on localhost, but it hard coded
9999 as the port number and somebody already has that port.
 So, it fails and never tries another port.  You should use
'sudo lsof -i | grep 9999' to see who has that port and
consider shutting down that process.

> [ Tue Jul 18 18:54:38 2006 ] found filetype-specific defaults python
>
> (python:12528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_pixmap_new: assertion `val != NULL'
> failed
>
> (python:12528): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack_start: assertion
> `GTK_IS_WIDGET (child)' failed
> Segmentation fault
>
> Can I make this work? And if so, how? I'm on Dapper up-to-date.

Not entirely sure whats causing your problem, but I have two
theories.  The first is that pype doesn't do some checking
and the above error about being unable to bind to port 9999
is causing this problem.  Try stopping the other process
thats on port 9999 and see if you can use pype.  If so file
a bug in launchpad against pype because it should check that
the bind succeeded and try another port if it did not.

The second theory is that you have some sort of hardware
problem.  Generally, in python, you don't see many
segmentation faults unless the programmer did something
amazingly dim(see the above theory).  Thus, when I see a
segmentation fault in python I generally think hardware
issue.  I would run memtest on the computer for a few hours
might be a good start.  You can access it from the grub boot
menu by pressing escape when your booting your computer.
Then selecting memtest from the grub boot menu.