Crazy time behaviour on IBM Thinkcentre system.

John Macallister j.macallister1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jul 18 09:52:50 UTC 2006

I've installed UBUNTU ( kernel 2.6.15-26-386 ) on an IBM Thinkcetre
system (Intel P4 2.66GHz). After some time the system clock slows down
and effectively stops settling down to a range of a few seconds i.e. the
time moves backwards and forwards. Needless to say, any command that
still works is excruciatlingly slow and most things just don't work.
I've noticed that the problem occurs within 21 hours of a power up
reboot.

I've also separately (different disks) installed Debian, Scientific
Linux and Windows on this same box. Debian and Scientific Linux display
the same problem: Windows is OK.

I conclude that there's a problem with the kernel and that perhaps it's
only more recent kernels which have the problem.

I wanted to obtain an older 2.6 kernel image or even a 2.4 image but
don't see anything but the latest image with my setup.

How do I get access to older kernel images (perhaps an additional entry
in sources.list)?

If this is a known problem is there a patched kernel available?

Cheers,

 John

Name: John B. Macallister  E-mail: j.macallister1 at physics.ox.ac.uk
Post: Clarendon Laboratory, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PU, UK
Phone: +44-1865-273388 (direct)  272200 (reception)  272400 (Fax)