Ubuntu - File Copy Seems Resource Intensive

Charles E "Rick" Taylor IV rick at rickandpatty.com
Mon Jul 17 20:09:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 21:40 +0200, Adriano Varoli Piazza wrote:

> I remember reading somewhere that minimizing nautilus while this kind
> of operations took place made it much faster/responsive/cleaner with
> Pure White (TM). Might want to try that too.

For large file copies, I find it *much* faster to just open up a command
line and use "cp".  Nautilus is a pretty big hog when it comes to file
copying.  Minimizing helps some, but it's still slower than the command
line.  This is a pity, because copying files is one of the major things
I might want to do with the file manager.

(Part of the problem might be Nautilus trying to thumbnail or preview
media files during the copy.  Turning that feature off should help
speed.)

*  Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <rick at rickandpatty.com>
*  Web: http://www.rickandpatty.com
* Blog: http://shrimpandgrits.rickandpatty.com