Ubuntu - File Copy Seems Resource Intensive

Lea Gris lea.gris at noiraude.net
Mon Jul 17 15:34:03 UTC 2006

Gregory Piñero a écrit :
> On 7/17/06, Paul Puschmann <lnx at uzulabs.net> wrote:
>> Test your hdd settings with hdparm.
>> You could use hdparm -tT /dev/hda to "benchmark" your first hdd.
>
> Here's what I got:
> chiefinnovator at MAIN1:~$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/hda
> Password:
>
> /dev/hda:
> Timing cached reads:   284 MB in  2.01 seconds = 141.43 MB/sec
> Timing buffered disk reads:   66 MB in  3.15 seconds =  20.96 MB/sec
>
>> Then see through the various settings and check your cables.
> What settings would I check exactly?  Cables LOOK ok, is there
> anything special I should look for?

hdparm -v /dev/hda should show you if DMA and 32bit access is enabled.
28MB/s is a poor performance for modern hard drives.

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    = 256 (on)
 geometry     = 65535/16/63, sectors = 117231408, start = 0

to enable this perform:

hdparm -c1 -m16 -d1 /dev/hda

then test again with hdparm -t /dev/hda

If all is ok you can enable this permanently by editing /etc/hdparm.conf:

/dev/hda {
         mult_sect_io = 16
         io32_support = 1
         dma = on
}

/dev/cdrom {
        dma = on
        io32_support = 1
}

hdparm -I <device> show you the disk capabilities and should help you
choose more appropriate hdparm settings for it.

- --
Léa Gris