Gentoo question

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 12:53:24 UTC 2006

Stephen Bunn a écrit :
> On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 00:35 +0200, Loïc Martin wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I know that's not really ubuntu related, but we often have questions
>> about Windows here, and if we can talk about that, I might be allowed a
>> Gentoo question :)
>>
>> Sincerely, I know some on the list use both Ubuntu and Gentoo, and since
>> I won't have Internet access starting from tomorrow evening (or Thursday
>> evening if my provider is nice :) ) I'm quite in a hurry.
>>
>> I'd like to know if it's possible to download all the stuff necessary
>> for a Gentoo installation (DVD might be the best) so I could have
>> something to play with during my holiday... I'm looking for an X system
>> with xfce/wmaker/open office/scim/inkscape/amarok/blender and maybe (if
>> it's faster than on Ubuntu) gnome or kde.
>>
>> Where should I look for it?
>>
> Its possible.  Simply find one of the Gentoo mirror's and run a
> recursive wget and hope it completes before they boot you or your ISP
> shuts you down... then simply setup your make.conf to pull everything
> locally.
>
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.com has several HOWTO's releated to this.

Sorry, didn't send this to the list.

Thanks a lot! I'm doing it at the moment. And my ISP is one of the
mirrors, so that's quite good  - if I wasn't moving out, I would keep
them, they're quite nice. Now I know it's because they're Gentoo users :)

Btw, would you know if downloading portage (a few 30M files), distfiles/
(biiiig) and releases/x86/2006.0/stages is enough, or if I also need
experimental and grp?

Thanks,

Loïc